Friday, August 11, 2017

Nana's Little Dumpling Helper


Today has been a very special day with my "B". School day and lots to do. We decided to make chicken and dumplings for dinner. What a joy to have B helping tonight. I hope she will enjoy cooking when she gets older. She told me that she wants to be just like me. If you are a Nana you can just imagine how that made my day. Children are priceless and I certainly enjoyed mine when they were growing up.
I have a couple of pictures to share with you and hope you enjoy.

Recipe for the Dumplings

Chicken:

1/4 Butter
2 tablespoon. Olive oil
One whole chicken (I cooked in Crock pot) cut in pieces
Chicken broth ( I used 2 cartons in crock pot)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup of carrots
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup medium onion (finely diced)

Put everything in the crock pot, cook on high 3-4 hours. The chicken will literally fall off the bone at this point. Shred carefully as it will be very hot, and add back into the crock pot. Keep all the broth.

Dumplings  

1 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
2/3 cup of yellow corn meal
1 Heaping tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups of half-and half milk
2 tablespoons of flour

Sift the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of milk. 

When chicken is done, take the 2 tablespoons of flour, a little water and mix into the broth still in the crock pot. This will thicken nicely. 

I used two spoons, dipping one in to the flour and cornmeal dumplings mix, then used the other spoon to help drop the dumplings into the broth in the crock pot. Cover and leave on low for one hour, letting the dumplings cook slowly. 

When done, fill the bowls and watch the family come running to eat. You are welcome to add minced parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

This was the tedious task of preparing the dumplings.
B is working hard to get the right consistency.


Yes.....she finally made it!! I had so much fun Nana.
The finished product. I might add that it was quite yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope and Sunset

Our hope is to be able to end each day in a beautiful way with a Grateful Heart. At the end of the day all we need is Hope, and strength to...